Treatment with medicinal leeches (Hirudo medicinalis / verbana / orientalis) is a traditional therapeutic method that has been known in Chinese medicine for thousands of years. In the meantime, leech therapy has become the subject of modern research, which has long shown that the healing effects of this therapy are not based on medieval superstition. The treatment with culture and breeding gels for human therapeutic use has also become an integral part of Western naturopathic treatment.
The active substances in the leeches are polypeptides and enzymes, the main substance is hirudin, which promotes blood circulation. In the saliva of the leeches (salvia) there are other anticoagulant substances such as caline. The hyaluronidases contained cause tissue loosening. Egline and Bdelline have anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects. The leech saliva contains no pathogens!
With the biting and aspirating device there is the ability to release the active substance into blood and tissue.
Mode of action: Blood thinning, anti-inflammatory, accelerating lymph flow, pain relieving and blood withdrawal.
There are a variety of indications for leech treatment. After careful diagnosis taking into account conventional medical therapy options and contraindications, an integrative application of the treatment takes place in the practice.
Clinical studies exist on the following diseases:
1. gonarthrosis (signs of wear of the knee joint),
2. Rhizarthrosis (wear and tear of the thumb saddle joint)
3. Epicondylitis humeri radialis (tennis elbow)
4. Otitis media (otitis media)
In addition, other indications are empirically proven:
5. Adnexitis (inflammation of the female abdomen)
6. Angina pectoris
7. Apoplex (stroke)
8. Cephalgia (headache)
9. Cholecystits (inflammation of the biliary tract)
10. Boils / carbuncles
11. hematoma (bruise)
13. Herpes zoster
14. Hypertension (high blood pressure)
15. Hyperuricaemia (gout)
16. Microangiopathy (circulatory disorders of the capillaries)
17. Myotene dinoses / myogeloses (muscle tension)
18. Patellar tip syndrome (overload disorders of the kneecap)
19. Tendovaginitis (tendonitis)
20. Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
21. Ulcus cruris (open leg, lower leg ulcer)
22. Varicosis (varicose veins)
23. Thrombophlebitis (inflammation of the leg veins)
24. Arthritis (joint inflammation)
Leeches for medical use are ready-made medicinal products in accordance with Section 2 (1) No. 1 of the Medicinal Products Act. The therapy is reimbursable for private patients.